Sloes berries (the fruit of the blackthorn) seem to be very sparse this year. The mixed-up (wet) summer weather conditions must have resulted in a poor setting of the fruit.
We have found some though, but as this picture shows, picking them has required some extreme tree climbing!
Thanks to these determined tactics to harvest every berry we’ve seen we now have just enough to make a small quantity of sloe gin. It’ll be a special reserve bottling this year, we may only get 1 litre! A link to the recipe (from last year when we had a great harvest) can be found below…
The used sloes usually get thrown away, although we have tried making flapjack with some of the infused sloe berry flesh. This flapjack tastes great but tends to set poorly and disintegrates before you can get it in your mouth! 🙁 So this year’s alternative plan is to stir the flesh into some melted dark chocolate. Then pour this onto a sheet of baking parchment and break into chunks when set! :yum: