Simple Archive Plugin

The theme (look and feel) used for Sterling Adventures has been developed with lots of love and care! Although it probably still isn’t anywhere near perfect (or even working in some places – software is never bug-free), but I am fairly proud of it. 😳 So, I think some of it is now at a point where it’s worth shouting about, and possibly sharing…

One feature of the site is a very simple (to use and configure) plug-in to generate a list (by category) of all posts. It’s simple because there is no fancy formatting, complex configuration or other ‘noise’, just a sensible archive of all posts! All that’s required is to include <!-- simple_archive --> on a page or post… How simple is that?

Categories can he sorted alphabetically or by creation order, while posts are listed chronologically.
Also categories can be hierarchically listed.

The plug-in is available as a download here.

All I ask is that you credit the widget (i.e. include a link to this page) on your blog.

:star: Why not check out my other WordPress plugins too! :star:

Instructions:

• Just put the plug-in into your plug-in directory (if this doesn’t make sense it probably isn’t something you should be trying 🙂 ) and activate it.
  • Then include <!-- simple_archive --> on a page or post to have your simple archive.
  • There are a few options, which are self explanatory, just visit Options » Simple Archive (note from WordPress 2.5 this is Settings » Simple Archive) in WordPress’ administration pages…
  • Simple Archive now provides support for language translations – internationalisation. Ensure WPLANG is set in your wp-config.php file. Then use the simple-archive.pot template to create a .po translation for your language, this then needs compiling (maybe using poedit) to create a .mo file. An example German translation (simple-archive-de.po) is provided thanks to Ingo Terpelle.
With great regret I have closed comments on this post as I’m being deluged with queries that often boil down to “how to” requests and not issues with the plug-in, which works perfectly! 🙂 So, if you want support, even advice, use the Feedback link and ask away…

But please note I will ask for a donation before I’ll look at “how to” questions, I can’t teach PHP programming for free.

Version History:

• 5.2 – Needed redesign of output to avoid a BIG issue with PHP memory overflow!
  • 5.1 – Extra options to control indentation style.
  • 5.0 – Update to use WP’s Walker class.
  • 4.0 – Hide and Show option.
  • 3.2 – Full stop error in statistics information.
  • 3.1 – Bug in date function fixed.
  • 3.0 – Option for showing post dates in archive – prompted by Brendan Berkley (http://www.zamagazine.org).
  • 2.2 – Support for internationalization added.
  • 2.1 – Enhancements (plus a couple of fixes) to Ingo’s version.
  • 2.0 – German translation plus a few other features thanks to Ingo Terpelle (http://www.xing.com/profile/Ingo_Terpelle).
  • 1.0 – A whole bunch of fixes and typos thanks to Mark DeNio.
  • 0.6 – Fixed category nesting error.
  • 0.5 – Option to also show spam comment count.
  • 0.4 – Statistics added.
  • 0.3 – Added administration options page.
  • 0.2 – Only lists the first occurrence of a post.
  • 0.1 – Initial version.

Series - WordPress Plug-ins

1. Image Link WordPress Plug-in
  2. Last Year WordPress Sidebar Widget Plugin
  3. Simple Archive Plugin
  4. Avatars Plugin
  5. WordPress Post Country Plugin
    (with premium Google Mapping)
  6. Notices Ticker Plugin
  7. Comments with Avatars
  8. Simple WordPress Twitter Plugin
  9. WordPress Post Grouping Plugin
  10. WordPress Mapping Plugin

17 thoughts on “Simple Archive Plugin”

1. Great plug-in! I’m going to use it on my college’s student newspaper’s website (which isn’t up yet… it’s still the Drupal my predecessor “developed”), and will certainly include a credit to this page when our new site rolls out 🙂

2. Hello Peter,

I love your plugin and have it working successfully on WP 2.3.3 but have been unable to get any thing at all on 2.5. Is there something we can do to get it working…?

Hope so,

All the best,
    Elizabeth

3. Thank you very much for making this extremely-easy-to-use plugin! It displays the archives very neatly without cluttering up the screen. My archives page is a happy one!