Jun 08 01
This plug-in allows short notices to be scrolled (ticker-tape style) or faded (in and out) on your blog. Each message is valid for a set number of days from its creation (or update) date and can also be de-activated to keep it from being displayed until you are ready to let the world see it.
There are two ways to display the ticker notices:
- Using a simple sidebar widget.
- Embed the ticker into one (or more) of your theme’s template files.
I’m quite pleased with the plug-in, I hope you are too.
The plug-in is available as a download here.
All I ask is that you credit the plug-in (i.e. include a link to this page or maybe add a link to your WordPress Blogroll).
- Put the complete plug-in folder into your WordPress plug-in directory (if this doesn’t make sense it probably isn’t something you should be trying ) and activate it.
- Define the text of your notices using the Notices form at Tools » Notices. Note that HTML is allowed in the text but be careful to avoid the
"(double quote) character, use
'(single quote) instead. Each notice has these attributes:
- Notice text (the notice itself).
- The number of days the notice will be valid for. Note that a value of 0 (zero) will make the note sticky.
- Once created, a checkbox indicating if the notice is active.
- The date is the date the notice is valid from and is the date the notice was created (or last updated).
- Use the Notices widget ( Appearance » Widgets) to show a sidebar widget that scrolls the chosen number of the most recent notices. The widget has just two options – a repeat (from the main Settings » Notices page) of the number of notices to show, and a title for the widget.
- Or, use this
<?php put_ticker( [true | false] ); ?>in your theme’s template files. Where
falsedetermines if the ticker should be hidden when there are no notices to scroll.
<?php put_ticker(false); ?>only shows the ticker when there are notices to scroll, whereas
<?php put_ticker(true); ?>always shows the ticker – even an empty one.
- There is a small
notice.css) in the plug-in folder to help style your notices ticker. The three styles defined:
.ticker– style for the text used in the notices.
.ticker img– style for images (use
<img src=... />in the notice text) in the notices. The example lines images up with the bottom of the notice text.
.ticker-div– style for the ticker container.
But please note I will ask for a donation before I’ll look at “how to” questions, I can’t teach PHP programming for free.
- 5.0 – Add support for notices from a Twitter feed (requires Twitter on Publish plug-in).
- 4.0 – Editable start date (allows future notices). Thanks to Jackey van Melis for the idea.
- 3.0 – Option to ‘tick’ recent posts.
- 2.0 – Now has fade-in-out efect, many thanks to Alex Gonzalez-Vinas for the idea and motivation.
- 0.4 – Added ticker direction, with thanks to Shaunak Sontakke.
- 0.3 – Error with management menu access fixed.
- 0.2 – Ticker’s “scrollamount” option set, thanks to Klaus.
- 0.1 – Initial version.